“Money is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master.” How should we handle money? In this parable, Jesus uses a negative example to teach us a positive message. We find this parable in Luke 16:1-15.
This is probably Jesus’ most difficult parable; nevertheless, if we pay attention to what Jesus tells us, we will discover the meaning.
- The parable of the shrewd manager was used by Jesus to teach the wise use of material things (including money) for future spiritual benefit.
- This was a good lesson using a bad example.
- Jesus made three applications from the parable:
- The believer should use money to win people into the kingdom.
- The believer is to be faithful in the way he/she uses material wealth. The one who can be trusted with little can be trusted with much.
- The believer must understand that you cannot serve both God and money.